Saturday, August 14, 2010

My first few days here

>
It is not easy to write a blog, as it is difficult to balance the main highlights of a day(s)/week with all of the little things that were just as influential, but only to myself. So, I will try my best to pick out the most important and exciting things that will keep you as the reader entertained and satisfied.

ARRIVAL: I arrived in Zurich, Switzerland on Tuesday at 8:25 am. I met my host mom, Anita, and my new little brother, Guy (he is 13, and his name is pronounced "Gee"). I then took the train to my small town of Bolligen. It has about 6,000 people, but it is very close to Bern, which has a population between 150-300,000 people (It depends on what your definition of "in the city" is). I then met my host dad Patrick, as well as my host brother, Luc. Luc is 16 and will be leaving for his exchange to Canada on Sunday. My home is a very modern, and clean apartment with three levels (see pictures that are not yet posted below). I also got a tour of Bolligen, which took about 15 minutes.

BERN: Bern is a very beautiful city, and it felt strange walking down a street that is older than the United States. The public transportation is very nice, and it is always great to have a nice walk between the trains, trams and buses.

As for the social aspect of everything, it has been very good. I met many of the neighbors two nights ago when we had a small party. Every single guest spoke fluent English, so it was very nice. I have also met many of Guy's friends, and we've played a lot of basketball.
Last night was very exciting, because Luc had his going away party. I was then able to meet many kids my age, and a few will be going to the same school as me. Most spoke English, and they made lots of jokes about America. It didn't really bother me at all, but it was interesting to hear what they thought an average day for me would be: wake up, eat a hamburger for breakfast, watch football, eat a hamburger for lunch, shoot things with my gun while driving, and eat one more hamburger for dinner before falling asleep to the TV. All in all it was very fun, and it was a good way for me to start getting to know more kids my age.

That is all, and if this uploads correctly there should be a stunning picture of my flight in.

No comments:

Post a Comment